Name: Harry Sims
Running For: Mayor
Are you a Democrat? Yes
If elected, will you work to enact the ACCDC platform? (Attached in the email we sent you.) Yes
Have you ever been a member of the ACCDC? If you have, please indicate your years of service and describe your work with the ACCDC. YES, MORE THAN 30 YEARS. TREASURER, EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Please list all campaigns you have worked on, regardless of party affiliation, in either a volunteer or staff member capacity, on either the federal, state, or local level, and briefly describe your work on each.
1988 RAN AS DELEGATE FOR PRESIDENTAL ELECTION
Please describe any work you have done in your community, either in Athens-Clarke County or elsewhere, in support of progressive causes.
25 YEARS COUNTY COMMISSIONER, 2 1/2 YEARS CITY COUNCILMAN,
Please list organizations and/or causes you have been involved with in any kind of substantial way.
COUNCIL ON AGING, ACTION, INC
If elected, what will be your policy priorities? Please describe 3 – 5 priorities.
PUBLIC SAFETY, JOB CREATION, LIVABLE WAGE
Does your campaign have a platform? If so, please include a link here.
YES SEE WEBSITE
- Do you support raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour? Yes
- Do you support making it easier for workers to organize and join unions?
- Will you support policies aimed at increasing the stock of affordable housing in in-town neighborhoods and making home-ownership more possible for ACC’s low-income residents?
- Would you support initiatives to help keep longtime Athens residents in their homes — people who are in danger of being pushed out of their neighborhoods by gentrification and rising taxes? Yes
- Do you support equal pay for equal work for women? Yes
- Should marijuana should be removed from the list of “Schedule 1” federal controlled substances? Yes
- Should local law enforcement agencies be required to assist federal immigration law enforcement agencies with deportations? No
- Should military-style weapons be accessible to civilians? Yes
- Do you support repealing the Campus Carry law? Yes
- Do you support incentivizing investments in clean energy and ending tax breaks and other perks for fossil fuel companies? Yes
- Do you support increasing protections for wetlands buffers to help keep our waterways uncontaminated? Yes
- Do you support comprehensive non-discrimination legislation in ACC? Yes
- Should it be illegal for public businesses and institutions to discriminate against LBGTQ people? Yes
- Do you support the expansion of Medicaid in Georgia? Yes
- Do you support the goal of Universal healthcare – healthcare as a fundamental human right for every American? Yes
- Should all state education funds should be directed to public schools? Yes
- What are your thoughts about how to secure safe schools for all students? WE SHOULD ALL WE CAN TO NSURE SCHOOLS ARE SAFE. IF THAT MEANS ADDING MORE RESOURCE OFFICERS THEN WE SHOULD.
- Do you support the current Teacher Retirement System of Georgia? Yes
- Should legislation requiring electoral districts be drawn by an independent, nonpartisan redistricting commission? Yes
- Do you support restoring the full protections of the Voters Rights Act? Yes