Name: Kelly Girtz
Running For: Mayor
Are you a Democrat? Yes
If elected, will you work to enact the ACCDC platform? (Attached in the email we sent you.)Yes
Have you ever been a member of the ACCDC? If you have, please indicate your years of service and describe your work with the ACCDC.
Yes. Prior to membership on the committee, and continuing now, I have volunteered for multiple local, state, and national elections, including canvassing, fundraising, providing rides to polls, and other activities.
Please list all campaigns you have worked on, regardless of party affiliation, in either a volunteer or staff member capacity, on either the federal, state, or local level, and briefly describe your work on each.
Work has included:
- 2000 Ralph Nader for President – fundraising
- 2002 George Maxwell for County Commissioner – volunteer work assembling voter data
- 2004 Democratic Party slate – canvassed and provided rides to polls
- 2006 – successfully ran for local office
- 2008 – Barack Obama for President – canvassed
- 2012 – Barack Obama for President – canvassed
- 2014 -Rachel Watkins for County Commission – canvassed.
Please describe any work you have done in your community, either in Athens-Clarke County or elsewhere, in support of progressive causes.
- 1992-1994 – founding member of In Support of Children, a Norfolk, VA nonprofit aimed at nonviolent support for children
- 1997-present – – public educator in middle and high schools in Athens
- 1999-2000 – sought environmentally beneficial zoning policy
- 2007-present – work as County Commissioner toward an inclusive, sustainable community.
Please list organizations and/or causes you have been involved with in any kind of substantial way.
- Cancer Foundation of Northeast Georgia – past board member (including coordination and development of TRI for Athens fundraiser),
- Family Connection/Communities in Schools of Athens – past board member
- Keep Athens Clarke County Beautiful – past boar member
- Greenpeace – member and supporter
- Amnesty International – member and supporter
If elected, what will be your policy priorities? Please describe 3 – 5 priorities.
Interwoven community development, including: 1) developing and supporting a range of accessible, integrated housing; 2) business development and entrepreneurship support, including creating a more accessible Athens-Clarke County Unified Government; 3) youth development support, including significant job training for public and private entities; 4) mobility/transportation improvements throughout the county; 5) enhancement and preservation of natural resources
Does your campaign have a platform? If so, please include a link here. https://votegirtz.com/vision/
- Do you support raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour? Yes
- Do you support making it easier for workers to organize and join unions? Yes
- Will you support policies aimed at increasing the stock of affordable housing in in-town neighborhoods and making home-ownership more possible for ACC’s low-income residents? Yes
- Would you support initiatives to help keep longtime Athens residents in their homes — people who are in danger of being pushed out of their neighborhoods by gentrification and rising taxes? Yes
- Do you support equal pay for equal work for women? Yes
- Should marijuana should be removed from the list of “Schedule 1” federal controlled substances? Yes
- Should local law enforcement agencies be required to assist federal immigration law enforcement agencies with deportations? No
- Should military-style weapons be accessible to civilians? No
- Do you support repealing the Campus Carry law? Yes
- Do you support incentivizing investments in clean energy and ending tax breaks and other perks for fossil fuel companies? Yes
- Do you support increasing protections for wetlands buffers to help keep our waterways uncontaminated?Yes
Do you support comprehensive non-discrimination legislation in ACC?Yes
- Should it be illegal for public businesses and institutions to discriminate against LBGTQ people? Yes
- Do you support the expansion of Medicaid in Georgia? Yes
- Do you support the goal of Universal healthcare – healthcare as a fundamental human right for every American? Yes
- Should all state education funds should be directed to public schools? Yes
- What are your thoughts about how to secure safe schools for all students? School safety is enhanced through: 1) broadly supportive communities, including job opportunities, support for (physical and mental) health needs 2) safety measures including comprehensive background checks and limiting military-purpose weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips
- Do you support the current Teacher Retirement System of Georgia? Yes
- Should legislation requiring electoral districts be drawn by an independent, nonpartisan redistricting commission? Yes
- Do you support restoring the full protections of the Voters Rights Act? Yes